Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Holding off on major purchases until we learn our strokes

I've decided not to purchase the Panasonic DVX100B. Yet.

When I first learned to play tennis, I had a cheap, twenty-dollar racket. Yet, had I played with a two-hundred dollar racket, my play would not have been better. It wasn't until I learned the strokes (via private lessons - thanks mom and dad!) that a more expensive racket became useful and necessary.

I'm hoping the same philosophy will hold true in filmmaking. I will take to learning the basics in sound, lighting, and direction, and worry less about the image quality. After all, the image is so small on the screen, and we haven't had any complaints, and even a few compliments (thanks mom and dad!).

Also, I'm sticking iMovie for now. It lacks slow motion, but most other features seem adequate. Plus, Tarnation was cut on it. Woah.

But I could change my mind tomorrow. The DVX100B calls to me.

No comments: